Friday, January 30, 2009

Greek Tacos

The other night I made Greek Tacos - and since Blake said it's one of the top three things I've ever cooked him - I thought I would post the recipe. It's my play on a Real Simple recipe and something off the Food Network website.


Ingredients:
4 tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cup crumbled Feta
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted & chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup Greek yogurt, substitute plain if you can't find Greek
1 small cucumber, shredded, water drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lemon juiced
2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh dill

Romaine lettuce, chopped
Pita bread (substitute tortillas if you have them laying around)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces


Heat oven to 200° F.
Wrap the bread or tortillas in foil and place in oven to keep warm.
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, Feta, and olives.
In a large bowl, combine the oregano, thyme, pepper, vinegar, and the lemon juice. Slowly add 4 tablespoons of the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until incorporated. Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the tomato mixture, toss, and set aside.
Add the chicken to the remaining vinaigrette, toss, and set aside. Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken but not the liquid to the skillet and heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, vinegar, lemon and dill.
Assemble: pita bread, chicken, tomato mixture, romaine lettuce, and yogurt topping.
I recommend serving with this. And I can never find orzo so I just use brown rice. Enjoy!
PS - Don't judge me bc I used the word EVOO!

No comments: